Skylights are not only an aesthetic boost to a home, but provide a boost of energy efficiency as well. While technically considered a luxury, your skylight will pay for itself in only a couple of years in the amount of money it saves you on your energy bills. Boost your property value and your mood with the installation of a skylight to your home. For skylight repair and installation in Cedar Park, TX, call Malachi Consulting Roof Specialist at (512) 520-0523 today.
Do Skylights Add Value To Your Home?
If you are looking to renovate your home to increase your property value, there are five big things that always increase your chances of selling your home for the highest price. They are renovating your bathroom, renovating your kitchen, adding landscaping to your property, getting a new roof, and installing new windows. As these are considered some of the most expensive aesthetic responsibilities of a homeowner, having them newly replaced for a new homeowner are big selling points. An added bonus with the installation of new windows are that people love natural light. As skylights are not a mandatory necessity to homes like regular windows are, having the addition of a skylight in your home not only increases your home’s energy efficiency, but attractiveness to potential buyers, as well.
What Skylight Is Best?
There are many different skylight ideas to choose from. Oftentimes, homeowners make the skylight the focal point of the room and design the rest of the room based around the natural lighting. Some popular skylight options that people tend to choose are putting them in bathrooms, kitchens, entryways, hallways, proches, or in home offices. Installing skylights in entryways and hallways help to make the room feel bigger and inviting, and less claustrophobic. Not only does a skylight in the bathroom provide privacy, but it also helps to cut down on humidity as the steam rises and escapes through the ceiling window. If you have always wanted a sunroom, installing skylights on an enclosed or indoor porch are an easy way to achieve it. That way you can enjoy the outdoors even in bad weather!
The Benefits of Installing a Skylight
There have been many proven benefits of getting skylight repair or installation.
- Mood improves. Sitting in darkened rooms make people feel sluggish, tired, and depressed. Research has shown that natural light makes people feel more awake, therefore making them feel more productive and happier. That is why skylights are great for kitchens and home offices- to help wake people up in the morning and get them feeling productive for the day!
- Natural light. Instead of wasting energy and money using artificial light, you can use the sun’s natural light for free! The natural light will also help to boost your mood and provide you with your daily dose of vitamin D.
- Energy efficient. Save a little money by not using the lights in the rooms you have a skylight installed and use the sunlight the window provides instead. If you are wondering ‘are skylights energy efficient?’ Just know that as much as 10% of your energy bill can be lowered per year with the installation of only one skylight. Also, skylights make great conductors and will warm the room, making them cozy little spots perfect for animals to lay and sleep in. Skylights can sometimes get too hot, especially when summer temperatures soar, so if you want a skylight without heat, you can install a window covering over it. You could also try carefully choosing its location, such as slightly installing it lower on the roof instead of directly on top, of have it pointing North or South instead of East or West where the sun rises and sets.
- Privacy. Often installed in bathrooms and bedrooms for privacy, you can get natural light in your own home without having to worry about whether you are wearing clothes or not and if the neighbors might see.
- Aesthetic. Besides being a great mood booster, rooms with natural light feel more inviting, and look prettier.
How Often Do Skylights Need To Be Replaced?
The most common reason for skylight repair or replacement is due to leaking. Do skylights always leak? Unfortunately, that is the reputation they are known for. While newer versions of skylights have significantly improved their flashing and have been able to reduce leaks, older versions are notorious for deteriorating and allowing water to penetrate the roof. If you find that your skylight is leaking or that the window has broken glass or some other type of damage and needs skylight repair in Cedar Park, TX, you can call the roofers at Malachi Consulting Roof Specialist at (512) 520-0523 for assistance.
Do roofers replace skylights? They do, but often at a slightly higher fee than regular roof replacements. A tip on how to reduce skylight repair and installation fees is to have your skylight repairs or replaced when you get your roof replaced. That way you are charged one overall flat fee instead of double the price for two separate trips. Skylights have a lifespan of around 10 to 15 years, which is about half the lifespan of an average roofing system, and when the roof would start needing repairs, anyway.